Sending your child off to college this fall?

Make sure their belongings are protected.

As you head out to drop off your child at college, don’t forget about protecting all the stuff they’re bringing with them. Kids arrive at college with a lot of paraphernalia these days including their computer, fancy head phones, tablet, cell phone, and games. The combined value of it all can be pretty high, so you wouldn’t want to have to replace it should it be stolen.

Luckily, insuring your college student’s stuff is pretty easy and straightforward. Chances are, he or she will be living in either a dorm on campus, or an apartment off campus. Because they won’t be owning the home, they just need to protect their personal property, not the building itself. 

Living in a dorm?

If your son or daughter lives in a dorm, your homeowner’s insurance should cover their possessions since they are still an “insured” on your policy. The clause that defines them as an insured reads something like this:

“A student enrolled in school full time, as defined by the school, who was a resident of your household before moving out to attend school, provided the student is under the age of: 

1. 24 and your relative; or

2. 21 and in your care or the care of a person related to you and a resident of your household”

Check your policy to see the limit for property at other residences. It’s usually a percentage of your on-premises personal property coverage, also known as Coverage C. You can find your Coverage C limit on your declarations page (usually the first page) and the guidelines in Section I:  Property Coverages: Coverage C – Personal Property. If your child has possessions that add up to more than that limit, or fall into one of the limited categories, you may want to purchase more insurance. 

Living in an off-campus apartment?

If your child is living in an off-campus apartment, he or she will probably need renter’s insurance to cover their possessions. Renter’s insurance should also cover them if they need to find temporary housing due to a covered claim at the apartment. Here’s some more information on renter’s insurance.

Robert L. McCormack Public Adjusters, Inc. has more than fifty years in the insurance adjusting field and an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau. Bob McCormack has adjusted every type of property claim there is: fire, storms, water, robbery, you name it. Licensed in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Florida, Bob can handle your claim from start to finish. Contact us today via email or telephone 508-588-4243.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *